spectre51
Topic Author
PSN: spectre51

Post your specs

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Finally upgraded from my core2duo and DDR2(So i completely skipped DDR3) a little over month ago.

I grabbed for just under $1000
  • Intel i5-6600k
  • Cosair DDR4 16gb 2800mhz
  • 2x Noctua 140mm fans
  • Asus z170-AR
  • Samsung 850 evo 250gb
  • 1tb Seagate HDD

I also got a massive surprise when I got gifted a Nvidia 1060 from a friend which was not expecting in the slightest as I was just going to carry on using my amd 6870 for a bit longer. The 1060 is so small and uses less power then my 6870 which is always good.
I kept my cpu cooler, case and PSU from the old PC and stuck with windows 7 as I still had a key for it so its was free.

As for getting it all up and running was not so smooth. First thing that scared the hell out of me was that I didn't realise that the cpu socket lever need so much force to be locked in i kept thinking it was going to snap. Then when I turned it on it didn't detect a stick of RAM i don't know why mustn't have had it in just right as I swapped them around and they appeared. 
Then Windows -______- getting it installed was a battle it wouldn't install to the SSD so I had to fiddle around before it would even start to install, then of course as seems to happen whenever I install windows, windows update decides to just hang searching for updates so more fiddling to get it to actually work. There was several other annoying software issues as well.

Anyways I can now open iTunes in a a few seconds when the last computer i wouldn't even know if it registered me clicking on the icon afters few seconds. So nice to have something that is responsive now and aren't scared to turn off because of how long it takes for it to be usable after turning on.

Pics 1, Pics2, Pics 3

Axe99
Site Admin
PSN: Axe99
Steam: Axe99

Re: Post your specs

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:40 am

Great stuff Spec :)  (and I can't think of a better person to make the first post in this thread ;)).  You'll be feeling like you're in another universe, what with an SSD, 1060 and DDR4 after your last machine!  Have you given it much of a run yet?

spectre51
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:06 am

Tossed Mad Max, Ethan Carter and Metro Last Light at it they all mostly max 1080p 60fps 99% locked. Nothing has really made the CPU going over 50% usage usually sits in the 30s, RAM usage is pretty low as well, GPU usually around 80%.

Yeah it definitely does feel like a massive step up worthy of the age difference from the old the one. Its good to be able to easily play all the games I have bought now instead of having to keep putting it off.

spectre51
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Yeah wasn't expecting it in the slightest. Its the 6gb version. 

lol I remember when you posted up that you bought that orange board with dedicated buttons for overclocking.

Edit: Incase anyone is wondering who the hell I'm talking to its Graph before his account was deleted accidentally. He commented on the VC gift and what version it was.

GraphicX
Site Admin
PSN: GraphicX
XBL: SerenityBlaze
Steam: GraphicX

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 pm

lol how this thread finished off.

well massive revive for it, well hopefully as nobody is receiving notifications these days & the community has died off :(

so i've continued my poverty type computer upgrades, i can't really recall what my costs are over the last few years, but i'm thinking i'm still well under a grand for my pc & have been able to enjoy games on ultra or at least high settings at 1080p.

currently the pc sits as;
i7 4790 3.6-4.0ghz quad core
8gb ram
r9 290
4x ssds
win 10

i'm thinking it still has tons of life in it, it could play anything in my library on ultra i reckon & anything on my wishlist so that's gotta be a plus :)

i've also made a poverty pc for my kids to mess around on too now lol.  the specs are;
pentium G3258 3.1ghz dual core
gtx 760 2gb
12gb ram
1x ssd
3x hdds
win 10 pro

that PC has so far cost me $380 which i think isn't too bad (that includes a brand new 700w silverstone modular power supply & coolermaster gaming case).  i'm going to be chucking a big heatsink on the processor as it's the fabled anniversary edition capable of being overclocked to 4.7ghz (i'll likely achieve between 4.1 & 4.4 realistically & safely).

also have a steam controller for the kids system so it boots into steam big picture mode & no need for keyboard or mouse :)

alot of the stuff above i got either given to me (the ssds/steam controller etc etc) or for next to nothing through work or my circle of friends.

will have to update how the overclocking goes as the mobo doesn't officially overclock, but there's custom bios running around i'm going to try & use (can't recall what mobo it is, but it's one that was extremely popular with the AE cpu).

GraphicX
Site Admin

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:56 am

installed 3d mark & ran it on my system & the one i've built for my son.  unfortunately i don't have a comparison for mine when it had the 4440 or even the gtx660 to look back on.

for mine 4790/r9 290 i scored over 10,000 with fire strike.  for my son's g3258/760 it scored about 5,000.  after running that benchy i overclocked the 760, both gpu & ram, i also overclocked the g3250 to 4.0ghz up from 3.2ghz & it's now scoring over 5,600.  when the new heatsink arrives i'll be overclocking it to somewhere between 4.3ghz & 4.6ghz so see how that goes.

for the overclock i had to use a different bios & only had to up the multiplier from 32 up to 40, didn't have to touch voltages at all.  once beyond 4.0ghz though i'll need to fiddle voltages but there's tons of info online for it so i'm pretty confident.

my mate's pc that was also built up from *scrap* (lol) like these ran the benchy as well.  he has a 2500k with my old gtx660, neither are overclocked & that scored about 5,200 i think.  good comparing that to the g3258 as the 2500k is a quad core & up to 3.7ghz i think, so for the g3258 to be outpacing it now is terrific.  good chance he'll be getting me to overclock it though & the 2500k can go well beyond 4.0ghz with ease.

spectre51
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:51 am

Yeah saw you bought 3D Mark, lol it even has achievements. I never bother with benchmarks unless a game has its own inbuilt one nifty for adjustments since they will generally throw the worst the game has at you.

GraphicX
Site Admin

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 pm

i've never used benchmarks except as you said when they're in games to help with settings, bought 3d mark specifically for this overclock.

GraphicX
Site Admin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:09 pm

more on the tinkering.

windows 10 is just a pain in the butt to be put mildly.  my intention with my son's pc was that it would only have a controller hooked up & it'd boot up & jump into steam 'big screen' where he could essentially use it as you do any game console.  windows of course just loves to interfere with every few boots having some type of windows message taking over about some crap that is totally irrelevant.

take 2 & i bought controller companion from steam which for the money does a terrific job, although it too is hindered massively by windows.  it knows when to run & when not to by whether an application is in full screen mode or not.  so if you reduce the window size of steam for instance it work perfectly, but even then every now & then you'll boot the pc up & for reasons unknown steam will start in full screen mode.  add to this it'll also disable itself if there are notification boxes or admin boxes & you're in a real pickle as windows loves tossing them up constantly.  another issue is that if you don't have a mouse connected to the pc the cursor becomes invisible, it's still there & controller companion continues to work, but you just can't see the fkn thing lol.

i have it at a stage where he can switch it on, grab the controller & jump in whatever game he wants, but it's ridiculous having these issues these days.

also the steam controller is a total fail, will be returning it to my mate so he can offload it somewhere else, can't understand how they've possibly let something so bad go to retail, surely someone realised during design how bad it really was (literally can't give the things away & they're over $100 lol).

spectre51
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:52 pm

I was interested in the Steam controller when it released but having to config it or find a config for each game turned me off didn't want to spend money on a more troublesome controller compared to the plug in and work x360 one.
Is that what failed it for you as well?

GraphicX
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:50 pm

was the touch pad as a right hand stick, it simply doesn't work.  it's not like something you could get used to or a personal preference type thing, as a right 'thumb stick' it doesn't work at all, it's basically a laptop touch pad & games are designed with that in mind.

i did some more overclocking, this time on my pc.  i've overclocked the ram to 1600mhz which it did easily, tried 1800mhz but would fail to boot.  i fiddled with the processor & have it set to 4ghz (4ghz on all cores, by default i think it's 4/4/3.8/3.8), but if i go even i tiny bit over it won't boot again (non-k so isn't meant to be overclocked).  it's a 3.6ghz with 4ghz turbo so i've achieved nothing with it, have read of people messing with it & getting 4.2ghz but it messes with all the bus speeds & sounds like a hell of a lot of trouble for little gain.  also overclocked the r9 290 but it's not giving the biggest results.  unlike the nvidia cards amd already have their max temp set from factory, meaning there's little headroom.  my card is factory oc'd to 977mhz i think & when it reaches temperature it throttles back already (way over 90º), so now i've increased the frequency it's hitting that temperature sooner & dropping back any how.  also increased the frequency of the memory, ran another benchmark & it's up overall by about 8%.

Axe99
Site Admin

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Sounds like you're getting right into the performance tweaking Graph :).  Can't say I understand everything you write, but it sounds appropriately performance-y 8-).

GraphicX
Site Admin

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm

well i now have 16gb of corsair vengeance ram in my pc at 2,400mhz, also have 16gb in my son's pc but only at 1,333mhz (haven't tried overclocking the ram in that yet).

Axe99
Site Admin

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am

Nice :)  What does quicker RAM do?  My PC gave up the ghost during last week, so got a replacement from PC Case Gear, but I'm too buggered these days to do the research and really understand what was going on and which bits are good/bad/average (although I only paid $1500 for it, so it's not a cutting-edge machine by any stretch, although it seems a little better than my last one, which is nice).

GraphicX
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

for gaming faster ram can result in more fps, particularly in games like witcher 3.