WalrusKing

I_Am_The_Walrus

• 1,696 posts
  • LocationArctic Ocean
  • PSN:spectre51
  • Origin:Wilfindja
  • XBL:wilfindja
  • Steam:spectre51
I generally read everything here but I gave this thread a gander and figured if I am going to read this much I might as well start reading 3rd GoT book.

Posted Image
I am the eggman, they are the eggman---I am the walrus GOO GOO GOO JOOB, GOO GOO GOO JOOB

#24 Axe99 Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 7,677 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Clan:SPT
  • PSN:Axe99
  • XBL:Axey99
  • Steam:Axe99

View PostGasClown, on 16 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Here's another review you can pick to pieces Axe. :P

http://www.giantbomb...eview/1900-558/

Haha - yeah, this one never gives a score, and reviews it on PC (so I can't comment on technical issues vis-a-vis that platform), and is generally pretty solid.  The mistake it (and many of these reviews) makes is to judge the game against the movies, rather than as a game.
Posted Image

#25 Saintsy Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Saintsy

Pink Fluffy Unicorn

• 2,177 posts
  • LocationThe Kitchen
  • Clan:FC#K
  • PSN:Saints221
Apparently PC copped it worse than the consoles :/
Posted Image

#26 GasClown Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

GasClown

Coulrophobia

• 4,663 posts
  • LocationFerelden
  • Clan:N7
  • PSN:GasClown
  • XBL:M4EL5TR0M
  • Steam:GasClown

View PostAxe99, on 16 February 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Haha - yeah, this one never gives a score, and reviews it on PC (so I can't comment on technical issues vis-a-vis that platform), and is generally pretty solid.  The mistake it (and many of these reviews) makes is to judge the game against the movies, rather than as a game.

The score works out to be 2/10... if you do the simple math - 1 x 2 = 2 / 2 x 5 = 10. Not that I was ever worried about the score - it's mainly the written content. All these opinions and reviews seem to come to the same conclusions. Unless there's some sort of colluding going on between these reviewers, it's apparent the game is terrible in many key areas. Also, it is a 'movie licensed' game, so the reviewers have every right to judge the game against the movie. Otherwise the game shouldn't have used the movie license, lore, dialogue, art, style, locations, characters, weapons etc in the first place.

And the game is essentially the same, whatever the platform. They're all called the same game name - Aliens Colonial Marines. From what I've seen and read the graphics are better on the PC version (but still woeful compared to normal standards), while the console version was far worse off (which is nothing new).

Posted Image

#27 Axe99 Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 7,677 posts
  • LocationCanberra

View PostGasClown, on 17 February 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

The score works out to be 2/10... if you do the simple math - 1 x 2 = 2 / 2 x 5 = 10

Only if you assume it's a linear scale :P.

Agree that most of the reviewers have struggled with it, but there's still a huge disconnect between the people I know who've actually played the game, and the reviewers.  The only people that are really bagging the game here also haven't played it ;).  On the by, though - there are issues with the PC version that aren't in the console version _if_ that review is accurate (but I can hardly pick apart a review for a version of game I haven't played), so the PC either had it worse _or_ the reviewer is full of it ;).  Sure, the Graphics will be better (or if they aren't at this late stage of the generation then the PC version really is a trainwreck!), but I'll take the version that actually plays better any day of the week.

That said, If I did/do review the game, I'd deffo warn graphics floozies off playing it, as it's clearly not a game for that crowd.
Posted Image

#28 GasClown Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

GasClown

Coulrophobia

• 4,663 posts
  • LocationFerelden

View PostAxe99, on 17 February 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Agree that most of the reviewers have struggled with it, but there's still a huge disconnect between the people I know who've actually played the game, and the reviewers.

That doesn't mean the reviewers are still wrong either. It's only a handful of gamers you know that played it as opposed to way over 10 reviews I've read trying to change my mind. It's completely failed though. I think I'm done by trying to find any hope in it unfortunately. I'll just have to wait another decade or so until somebody else comes along and butchers the franchise again. haha.

The only people that are really bagging the game here also haven't played it ;).

I 'think' (scratches head ;) ) I'm old and wise enough to make my decisions without playing something - at least from watching the actual gameplay walkthroughs of the final release. It does show what a poor game it is but it also shows potential of what it could have been. The unfortunate part though is they didn't pull it off (on the most part) and it fails to deliver on the promises set out by the developer. The only thing the game oozes is acid blood unfortunately.

That said, If I did/do review the game, I'd deffo warn graphics floozies off playing it, as it's clearly not a game for that crowd.

As I've said before, I'm personally not interested in the graphics - I didn't like Killzone 2's campaign and all that had going for it was the graphics - the rest of the game lacked any substance. I think if I were to play BF3 on a PC on ultra - it wouldn't make a difference either. One of the most lamest campaigns that I've ever played. True story. haha.

Posted Image

#29 Saintsy Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Saintsy

Pink Fluffy Unicorn

• 2,177 posts
  • LocationThe Kitchen
  • Clan:FC#K
  • PSN:Saints221

View PostGasClown, on 17 February 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I'll just have to wait another decade or so until somebody else comes along and butchers the franchise again. haha.

AVP was what? 2/3/4 years ago? Won't be long until there's yet another aliens game haha.

The game had massive potential like clowny said. I was rather disapointed by it, but as a fan i still enjoyed it alot, it brought back the memories of the movie. I just wish they had delayed it till end of year so they could work their magic and use what the next gen consoles had to offer.
Posted Image

#30 GasClown Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

GasClown

Coulrophobia

• 4,663 posts
  • LocationFerelden

View PostSaintsy, on 17 February 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

AVP was what? 2/3/4 years ago? Won't be long until there's yet another aliens game haha.

I hope so - but I more hope they do a Hadley's Hope of it next time (not that that makes any sense whatsoever)... :P

View PostSaintsy, on 17 February 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I just wish they had delayed it till end of year so they could work their magic and use what the next gen consoles had to offer.

SIX FRIGGEN YEARS! Need I say more... haha.

Posted Image

#31 Axe99 Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 7,677 posts
  • LocationCanberra

View PostGasClown, on 17 February 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I think if I were to play BF3 on a PC on ultra - it wouldn't make a difference either. One of the most lamest campaigns that I've ever played. True story. haha.

Haha, you'll get no disagreement here - I _fully_ agree with the general reviewer's consensus on BF3's campaign - that was just dull and turgid.  I enjoyed Aliens:CM far more than BF3's lacklustre campaign!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users