7 replies to this topic

#1 I_live_4_fun Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

I_live_4_fun

Cole McGrath, just electric

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Clan:BLaZn
  • PSN:I_live_4_fun
The Sony PlayStation brand has been one of the most iconic names for nearly two decades in the gaming industry worldwide. From the first ground-breaking PlayStation One released in Japan on November 1993, to the hugely innovative and beautiful PlayStation 2 and wonderful portables handheld consoles, Sony has never ceased to impress and bring classic entertainment and fond memories to every home. And this generation's PlayStation 3 is no different. Having overcome many technological obstacles in the midst of some extremely tough competition, the PlayStation 3 has grown to become a powerful and outstanding gaming and entertainment hub that both gamers and non-gamers alike would be proud to own.

But as sad as it may be, we all know that the PlayStation 3 will soon be retiring from centre-stage after performing magnificently in this generation of gaming consoles. As we hope and eagerly await the official announcement of its new successor in the PlayStation Meeting on February 20th, Sony has presented a new 'Evolution' video to take us back to where the beloved PlayStation consoles all began.

The PlayStation 2

After the huge success of the first PlayStation came the famous successor that took the world by storm. The PlayStation 2, often seen as the best and most innovative gaming console for its time, was powered by all-new technology packing a brand new motion engine CPU and a DVD-ROM to play larger and more advanced games as well as DVD movies. As the best-selling home gaming console ever, boasting a huge collection of quality, beautiful games and support across two generations, Sony yet again takes us through the PlayStation 2 journey with another 'Evolution' video - The Next Big Thing.

The PlayStation 3

And now we have arrived at the Sony home gaming console for this generation, the PlayStation 3. Since its official launch back in November 2006 for Japan and the United States, the PlayStation 3 has always been seen as a powerful gaming and entertainment unit that delivered and continues to deliver an incredible range of exclusive titles and brand new IP's for the system.

The PlayStation 3 has definitely not been without its setbacks, but as its free to access online PlayStation Network service, PlayStation Plus and entertainment features such as Netflix and Music Unlimited also continue to improve and expand, it is becoming clear that Sony's profound approach and support for its console and core gaming has been the key to its driving success in the industry.

Sony's 'Evolution' video below captures just how much this generation's PlayStation has grown and gone on to once again stay true to the success and innovation of its predecessors.

The PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita

Along with producing the PlayStation home gaming units we all know and love, the next 'Evolution' video showcases the thriving success of Sony's attempts at bringing the home console experience to the portable, handheld gaming market. This determined ambition was first revealed by Sony worldwide in the 2003 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), and the experience brought to life in the PlayStation Portable, better known as the PSP. With its large, high definition screen and enormous catalogue of games, plus the ability to play UMD movies and digital copies of many classic and memorable PSOne titles, the Sony PSP is still an extremely popular handheld gaming device even today.

In this generation, built on the successful features of the PlayStation Portable is the new and advanced PlayStation Vita that was released all over the world by February last year. The PlayStation Vita is almost revolutionary as a handheld gaming device itself; featuring a vibrant OLED screen, both WiFi and 3G connectivity options, and new and easy to access social capabilities. Along with a powerful new processor that already supports and plays Cross-Platform titles just as well, or if not better than the PS3 versions, there is no doubt that the PS Vita will continue to lead the way in handheld gaming and complement Sony PlayStation's next generation home gaming console as well.

PlayStation - Changing the Definition of Gaming

And (quite possibly) the final 'Evolution' video, before Sony hopefully announces the next-gen console news we have all been been waiting for, reminisces the fundamentally unique gaming experiences that the PlayStation has offered us so far in its lifetime.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#2 Axe99 Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 8,310 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Clan:SPT
  • PSN:Axe99
  • XBL:Axey99
  • Steam:Axe99
Aahh, the memories - of which I have many!  Top vid B).  What's everyone's favourite Playstation One memory?  Funny how things have changed these days as well "reaching 1 million in just six months" - nowadays that'd be seen as an abject failure, shows how much the market's grown since.
Posted Image

#3 I_live_4_fun Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

I_live_4_fun

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
(I got a bit teary when I thought about the PlayStation 3 retiring soon :().

Anyways hehe, my favourite memories were watching my older siblings play games like Crash Bandicoot, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey and Herc's Adventurers. Good times cheering them on and laughing together when they died or fell off some cliff in the games :lol:.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#4 WalrusKing Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

WalrusKing

I_Am_The_Walrus

• 1,961 posts
  • LocationArctic Ocean
  • PSN:spectre51
  • Origin:Wilfindja
  • XBL:wilfindja
  • Steam:spectre51
Have each 1st/2nd/3rd generations first gen console, hopefully Sony will announce the right things so it will be the same for the 4th generation. If I don't like what I see I just may make the move to PC only unless Microsoft somehow wow.

Posted Image
I am the eggman, they are the eggman---I am the walrus GOO GOO GOO JOOB, GOO GOO GOO JOOB

#5 Aromaci Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Aromaci

Thomas Sevchenko, a real trooper

• 1,454 posts
  • Twitter:@CupcakeShogun
  • Clan:VVV
  • PSN:Aromaci
  • Origin:Scipio_Dio
  • Steam:Aromaki
Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo and Tekken.

The only console I've ever been disappointed in was the Wii.
Posted Image

#6 Axe99 Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 8,310 posts
  • LocationCanberra

View PostAromaci, on 18 February 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

The only console I've ever been disappointed in was the Wii.

+1. Was right sad after Ninty's form with the 64 and the Cube (which was a good and under-appreciated piece of kit, even if the controller was perhaps a little more creative than it needed to be).

It's a nice touch how they've got these vids out there - you can see they've been thinking about this launch.  Each vid made some reference to the power of the console, so hopefully that means they won't be going too soft with the PS4.  Either way, we'll have some idea where the future of Playstation lies in the next few days - Sony have been the most consistent platform in terms of general gaming  goodness for me since the PSOne era, so here's hoping they've still got that mojo!
Posted Image

#7 I_live_4_fun Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

I_live_4_fun

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
The Final 'Evolution' video is up now along with the other PlayStation videos above (or at least I think it's the final one, hehe). I hope all of this has brought back some fond memories for everyone :D.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#8 Axe99 Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 8,310 posts
  • LocationCanberra
Nice one Live B).  And oh aye, plenty of happy memories here - I didn't enjoy the PSP as much as the PS 1/2/3 (the damn analog nub), but they took what they learned from it and created a wonderfully playable device in the Vita :D.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony, PlayStation, PSOne, PS4, PS2, PS3

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Evolution of PlayStation - The Beginning

By I_live_4_fun in Gaming News, on 16 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

The Sony PlayStation brand has been one of the most iconic names for nearly two decades in the gaming industry worldwide. From the first ground-breaking PlayStation One released in Japan on November 1993, to the hugely innovative and beautiful PlayStation 2 and wonderful portables handheld consoles, Sony has never ceased to impress and bring classic...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users