Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 9,809 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Clan:SPT
  • PSN:Axe99
  • XBL:Axey99
  • Steam:Axe99
Great to hear you're enjoying it :).  From memory, my playthrough was about 18 hours, but I'm a bit of a slowpoke, so 12-15 sounds about right.  I thought there was some kind of cover system, but my memory might be a bit shot, or perhaps tainted by too much MP?
Posted Image

#322 spectre51 Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:38 AM

spectre51

Garrus Vakarian, galactic bad-ass

• 2,854 posts
  • PSN:spectre51
  • Origin:Wilfindja
  • XBL:wilfindja
  • Steam:spectre51
There is a cover system quite a natural feeling one at that.
I should've worded better what i meant at the beginning, I mean a cover based grab system. I'd like to be able to grab enemies from behind cover rather when they are next to it, compared to the hap hazard way of doing it now with popping out quickly and mashing triangle, it doesn't always come off or as safe as a cover based grab system like in the uncharted series would be. It woul jsut take the stealth gameplay to the next levle for me.

Posted Image

#323 Axe99 Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 9,809 posts
  • LocationCanberra
Ahh, yes, totally agree on that, sorry for the confusion :).
Posted Image

#324 spectre51 Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:14 AM

spectre51

• 2,854 posts
Up to spring now.

Still enjoying it but it's definitely increased the amount of encounters now, not surprising but still a bit disappointing. Several battles have been obviously telegraphed as well. I had hoped it would've kept that empty feel more often and tease you with fights more to build tension, since that tension is all but gone now since you see an area and go oh there will be a fight there or there isn't anytime between fights to build that tension.

At the start it had a few unexpected small encounters which I liked, it built tension going into new areas to wondering if there were any enemies hiding, it created a world that made you feel alone and true to its post-apocalyptic setting but at the same time feel uneasy and give that feeling you might not be alone at the same time.

That feeling is mostly lost now, definitely feel the ratio it had at the start suited the games setting better for me.

Posted Image

#325 spectre51 Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

spectre51

• 2,854 posts
I finished the game. Took me 12 hours 41min on normal. So finished in that range I mentioned but do feel it could've gone on for a few more hours without overstaying it's welcome for me.

Spoiler

Sound sounded really good.

Graphics definitely up there for PS3 apart from image quality and some pop in with vegetation it would have to go close to being the best looking game on consoles last gen.

Gameplay for me was almost nailed apart from that one issue I have with it.
The game used checkpoints well for me.

Very good attention to detail except a few parts for the entire world.

Apart from a few encounters the rest were all good, just wish they were more spread out in the second half of the game.  

So overall definitely up there for games I've played, overall quality is really noticeable really does feel like a carefully crafted game. Does very few things wrong for me, with the lack of a cover grab and pacing issues between combat encounters it doesn't really have anything else to have issue with unless I nitpicked.

Posted Image

#326 Axe99 Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:59 AM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 9,809 posts
  • LocationCanberra
Glad you enjoyed it Spec B).  Totally agree on the Uncharted boss battles as well - I think they're about the only part of the UC games I don't really enjoy, you just kind of persevere through them because it's silly to stop just before the end.
Posted Image

#327 I_live_4_fun Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

I_live_4_fun

Scholar Visari just keeps on keeping on

• 2,107 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Clan:BLaZn
  • PSN:I_live_4_fun
Awesome Spec :). What did you think of the story and character growths throughout the game? Particularly the Winter segment.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#328 spectre51 Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:29 AM

spectre51

• 2,854 posts
Spoiler

Posted Image

#329 spectre51 Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

spectre51

• 2,854 posts
I finished Left Behind took a smidge over 2 hours at 2 hours 9 minutes on normal.

Apart from one encounter I enjoyed it a lot, I Eco what's been said that full price is a bit much though definitely something I would've waited until under $10 to consider picking up.

Story wise it's not must play you won't be missing out on anything pivotal bit of you enjoyed the main game I can't see why you would enjoy this.

Spoiler

Also something I forgot about the main game that I saw others mentioned
Spoiler

Posted Image

#330 Axe99 Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 9,809 posts
  • LocationCanberra
Aye, kill counts on most games (even war games like CoD) are pretty immersion breaking if you think about 'em.  The Uncharted games have a similar issue (Here's happy-go-lucky Nathan Drake, oh, and by the way, he's killed 200 people in the last week!)
Posted Image

#331 I_live_4_fun Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

I_live_4_fun

• 2,107 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I felt the same about Left Behind.

Spoiler

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#332 spectre51 Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

spectre51

• 2,854 posts
For me it depends on the game and the setting. Like it's easier to ignore when you are fighting an army or an alien hoard. The last of us is set in a struggling post-apocalyptic world yet they still through a good amount of enemies at you, even though it's supposed to be hard to find food, and he infected also do decay over time.

One thing it did do right was not having waves of enemies "magically" appear like the uncharted series likes to do in its arenas. Always annoying when you didn't know where they come from and you are standing at the "wrong" end. Pet peeve from uncharted for me was the enemy always appearing after you went through a bunch of trials to unlock something, then enemy just appears straight after like they were always just behind you or they find an 'easy" way in. Only one encounter* in the last of us gave me a little déjà Vu with that.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#333 I_live_4_fun Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

I_live_4_fun

• 2,107 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
About the *

Spoiler

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Last of Us, Naughty Dog

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

God of War: Ascension comes with The Last Of Us Demo

By I_live_4_fun in Gaming News, on 25 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Get early access to The Last of Us Demo with God of War: Ascension Purchase! With the upcoming releases of both of these huge titles drawing near, the brilliant creators of the Uncharted series have partnered up with Santa Monica Studios to give everyone a chance to get their hands on what to expect in The Last of Us while enjoying...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users