How will a paid online service benefit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JDiHD Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

JDiHD

Occasionally breaks things

• 132 posts
Forgive me for sounding completely clueless about it. Obviously XBOX 360 had a better online service over the PS3 but by how much?

It's only $60, I know. But what benefits (rather than added security after the lolsec hax) will we receive? I'm not overly into online anymore so it might not benefit me as much, but what added features / benefits will a paid online service give us rather than the free to play service like the PS3?

#2 Axe99 Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Axe99

Birds of Steel!

• 7,709 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Clan:SPT
  • PSN:Axe99
  • XBL:Axey99
  • Steam:Axe99
It's hard to say - there's a lot of things that could be done (dedicated servers for every game would be #1 on my list - that X360 relied largely on P2P but got away with the idea that it was a better online service because it had VOIP and a party system, things you can get for nix on PC, still makes me wonder), but we don't know what the plans of either platform holder are as yet.  Lots of broad statements and wishy-washy talk, but not much in terms of details.  It's stuff that's hard to make sound exciting, so we may hear more at Gamescom/TGS/other times, but most likely we'll just have to suck it and see.  Touch wood, I'll be getting PS4 at launch or therabouts, and will deffo post up how it goes :D.
Posted Image

#3 GraphicX Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:42 AM

GraphicX

Beyond Groovy

• 3,702 posts
  • YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/TheFinalVertex
  • LocationSouth Australia
  • Clan:Final Vertex
  • PSN:GraphicX
  • Steam:SerenityBlaze
you will get cross game chat & a couple of dubbed 'free' ps+ games a month.  nothing else will be different.

#4 I_live_4_fun Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

I_live_4_fun

Cole McGrath, just electric

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Clan:BLaZn
  • PSN:I_live_4_fun
There's also the 'Share' button feature  - continuous recording of the last 15 minutes of your gameplay. From all the confirmations so far, it's really only the Share button and access to Online Multiplayer (except Sony's F2P titles) that require the PS+ subscription, otherwise things like Netflix, other free apps and even Cross-game chat (I think) do not require the subscription at all.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#5 WalrusKing Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

WalrusKing

I_Am_The_Walrus

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationArctic Ocean
  • PSN:spectre51
  • Origin:Wilfindja
  • XBL:wilfindja
  • Steam:spectre51
^

James@James1o1o7 Aug
@yosp Will the PS4 recording feature be available to all or only those who have PS+?

Shuhei Yoshida@yosp8 Aug
@James1o1o all

Cross game chat also free.

Posted Image
I am the eggman, they are the eggman---I am the walrus GOO GOO GOO JOOB, GOO GOO GOO JOOB

#6 I_live_4_fun Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

I_live_4_fun

Cole McGrath, just electric

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Clan:BLaZn
  • PSN:I_live_4_fun
Oh okay, I might've read an Xbox article instead :P. Or he originally said that the subscription helps pay for the Share button service, so I assumed it was behind the subscription as well.

Posted Image

"Yohohohohohoho!!!!!"

#7 JDiHD Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

JDiHD

Occasionally breaks things

• 132 posts
Regardless of online or not, I hope the next gen gives me a reason to start playing games for what they're meant for, entertainment. Other than The Last of Us, there really hasn't been an appealing game for me which is rather saddening, especially considering games these days don't have much re playability in them haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users